Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My mom amazes me!!

My mom is simply amazing!! She often gets to do the sermon at church, this is because she is so amazing.  Her latest sermon notes are here...
Message Title “Get The Story”

Scripture-Mark 2:1-12
Rev. Gene asked me a several weeks ago if I would give the message today, so that he and Diane could visit their son in California. Sometimes I have ideas of things I would like to share, but this time I did not. It has really seemed like an adventure as I figured out what God wanted me to say. Pam and I discussed it 2 weeks ago, but I still did not know what I was going to say. I told her that I should have plenty of time to think and would come back from Florida with a plan. I expected my evenings would give me time to pray and study God’s word, even though my days would be filled by my “Tech Advantage” Conference. But God did not use the time I expected to give me his message, he used one of the speakers at the conference. Wednesday morning, I had the opportunity to listen to Scott Pelley from CBS 60 minutes. Wow what an inspiration! Who would have imagined at a Technology Conference. I could write several messages from the 60 minutes I spent with him. But what God decided to use was “Get the Story”. When the reporters for 60 minutes discuss what they shall report, they cannot discuss an issue they have to discuss a story. For example they could not report on the explosion in the gulf last summer. So, the reporters search for a story related to the explosion. Scott Pelley found a survivor of the explosion and spent time with the survivor Mike Williams learning Mike’s story. To hear Mr. Pelley describe how the survivor escaped from rig after the fire doors that were meant to save his life would explode violently throwing him back 30-40 feet into walls when he tried to open them. How the lifeboats had left before he made it to the outside. This is where this short video clip from that interview picks up. Mike Williams and Aundrea survived and Scott Pelley has shared their story with many.

As a child, doing the dishes was the time my Mother would get the story. She did not ask a lot of questions, she just listened as my sisters and I discussed our days. Together the 5 of us would clear the table, wash, dry and put away each dish. It may have been a chore, but it was also a social time. Everyone was involved and we would talk the whole time bringing to life the stories of each day. It was mostly a time of laughter, but occasionally there were tears, but most importantly it was never boring. We did the work together as we shared our stories.

Reading the Bible we also find laughter, tears and much excitement. We are so blessed that God gave his word to those who wrote the Bible. So many stories-each one purposely written to help us as we live.

Like David and Goliath from the children’s message, the scripture reading today, describes another one of my favorite Bible stories. I loved to go to camp as a child and teen, and Flaming Spirit Christian Camp in Oregon, Missouri was my favorite. My parents would come on Friday evening to pick me up and I would cry as I left my friends. A couple weeks ago Rev. Gene talked about camp being a mountain top experience. I found the same to be true for me. For 6 days every person was focused on learning Bible stories and bringing them to life. I will never forget the day we did a play portraying the scripture from Mark 2:1-12. We only allowed everyone to sit or stand in a small area at the front of the open air sanctuary. So about 80 campers and counselors are all crowded together. Someone portraying Jesus was at the front was reading scripture. A group of 4 boys tried to push their way through the crowd with a stretcher, but we would not let them through. The next thing we knew, the stretcher was being lowered from the roof at the front of the sanctuary. We all started yelling, “There’s someone behind you!” Jesus turned to him and said, “Son, your sins are forgiven.” On cue everyone started talking at once. It was so loud and so confusing. Then Jesus quieted the group and said, “Why are you thinking these things? Which is easier to say to the lame? Your sins are forgiven or Get up, take your mat and walk? He then turned back to the lame man and said to him, “Take up your mat and go home. The man (a kid my age) stood up and walked through the group. We all cheered and the play was complete.

After listening to Scott Pelley I wanted to get the story. So, for the past week or so ago, I have asked everyone on the love and concern e-mail list, all may facebook friends, and some people face to face, “What is your favorite Bible story?” During Lent we are to find ways to live in closer relationship with God. Learning and remembering these Bible stories has done that for me. It was fun and quite interesting to hear the answers. I know some of them quite well, some I had heard, but could not recall the details. And one I did not have a clue, what the story was about. My nephew Alex, had said his favorite story was “Ehud”. Knowing Alex, I figured he was teasing me. So I pulled up the concordance on the internet and found the story in Judges Chapter 3. It was a story I could see a 16 year old boy thinking, “That’s good!”

From those responses If have modified the Dr. Seuss story, Oh, the Place’s You Will Go to Oh, The Stories You Will Read. I hope this will encourage you to open your Bible’s and read the great stories it contains.


Contratulations!
Today is your day.
You’re off with Great Stories?
In the Bible Today!
You have Luke in your head.
You have Psalms in your shoes.
You can steer yourself to
Any story you choose.
You’re on your own
And you know what you know
And Jesus resurrection saves you from where you could go.
You’ll read about Joseph’s Coat.
Look at the parables with care.
About baby Moses’ reed boat
Then parting the red sea- to get out of there.
And you may like Ruth
Or David and Goliath quite a lotter
In that case of course,
Read Jesus walking on the water
There’s Noah’s rainbow there in the wide open air.
In the Bible things can happen
And frequently do
To people as brainy
And footsy as you.
When there’s loaves and fishes.
Don’t worry. Don’t Stew.
There’s 10 Lepers to be healed
But only 1 says “Thank you”
Oh the stories you will read!
Jesus’ miracles lift you up!
Paul’s conversion – bright light!
Join Shadrach, Meshach and Abendego
Then Daniel with lions--there was no fight!
You can’t miss the creation it takes the lead.
You’ll love the prodigal son who had no feed.
Wherever you read, you’ll find the best.
The words of God, will top all the rest.
From Noah’s Ark with animals too
With a Rainbow promise, God won’t do that to you.
Cain and Able-a sad sibling war
The birth of our Savior in a stable so poor.
Jesus was betrayed then denied by Peter 3 times- the cock crows.
Soon Jesus asked 3 times, Peter “Do You Love Me?” --tension grows
Esther the queen saved her people you see.
Paul shakes in prison but no one does flee.
You will come to Ehud fighting the king left his mark.
The shepherds in the field where the angels did hark
Job faced many troubles, trusting God from within!
Do not look back to Soddom and Gommorah, way too much sin!
Do you know whether Martha or Mary was right…
We learn from theses stories, or maybe not quite?
Fishing with the disciples inside a coin we find?
A well dressed Solomon, Mary Magdalene with much on her mind.
The stories and lessons that weave as we wind.
Oh Samson had his hair giving him strength for his pace
Jesus met a woman at the well, and spoke face to face
Christ washed the disciples’ feet taking the servant’s space?
Before dieing on the cross to take our place…Yes everyone’s place.
On and On you will read
And I know you’ll read far.
And face up to your problems
Whatever they are.
You’ll come back to the stories,
That you already know.
You’ll learn more lessons
With your friends as you go.
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact
And remember God’s word’s
Then you’ll know how to act.
Just never forget to be faithful and true.
And Jesus is always and forever with you.
And will you succeed?
Yes! You will indeed!
100 percent Christ guaranteed.
FRIENDS YOU’LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!
So….
Be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
Stand as we sing or final hymn of the day.

Isn't this amazing!  My mom is so creative and such an amazing woman of GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment