Friday, January 1, 2010

Ducks in the puddle...Shillelagh

VACATION to NW Missouri...where to begin. The journey started yesterday morning with Brooklyn taking me to get my car for the trip. I got a 2010 Chevy Impala. Yes it was very nice. I got started around 830am and took off toward NW Missouri. While driving thru the boring state of Illinois I thought I should stop by CMU. I figured that basketball would have practice, so I'd get to see Jill and Coach Sherman. I txted Jill and facebooked Coach Sherman and soon enough I had responces from them boLth. "Yes basketball was practicing, they were to start their second practice at 2." Jill said I should just come to her house because she was hosting a bowl party for her family. I thought that would work out just awesome.. So I went to see her at her house. What a beautiful MIZZOU family they are! Evan was so talkative and Paul is getting sooooo big and Jill, well she is simply the most amazing athletic trainer and person she has always been, the only thing better about her now is she is an extraordianary MOTHER!! Lots of talking and laughs were among us all. It was great seeing them. Those Pratte's sure are great people and on a side note -- amazing baseball people also. GO MIZZOU BASEBALL!!!
Then I continued west on I70 to KC and then HOME!! Dad had made an amazing meatload and mustard potatoes for dinner -- YUMMMM.. my most favorite meal! Oh yeah -- about celebrating the new year -- was alseep before 10pm. Big time partier on my side huh!!

Today was a great way to bring in the new year. Played Wii with mom, doing Wii Fit, I'm not gonna lie, these hips don't either when it comes to the hula hooping! I'm AMAZING!! hahah... funny thing tho --when I was younger I couldn't hula hoop to save my soul! We then made our goodies to take to Aunt Corks -- yummy corn stuff and decent broc stuff.

It was off to Aunt Corks around noon. And yes it was a great lil drive to see her and the rest of the family. I read my new book about Roy Williams on the drive and mom slept while dad got us safely there. I am always the featured guest of honor at all family gatherings since I have moved far away. I almost always have a celebrity welcoming. Everyone stops what they are doing and loud cheers arise as I enter the house. Being the humble person I am, I wave and give hugs and say "Carry on everyone, carry on!" The last of the family arive and prayer is given. My mom had the honor of blessing the food this year, it is a job that she or Uncle Tom do very well. Mom however, this time forgot someone in her prayer -- nothing was mentioned at the time -- but she forgot the rich.

After a hearty meal and great fellowship gifts were handed out. Our family has a one at a time rule. We start with the youngest. This way the lil ones can open their gifts and then go play and us adults can open ours. This years gift giving had a theme -- "S" -- and $25 limit. I had Bretts name and I gave him "Spare Change and Spending Money" I think he liked his gift this year. I received the best gift tho -- a SHILLELAGH -- Aunt Cork worked very very hard to find me the perfect "S" gift. And boy was it PERFECT.. What you as is a SHILLELAGH?? It is an Irish Fighting Club. Why did I want an Irish Fighting Club?? She came up with a "S" name for a rolling pin!! So the b.mcginnis.bakery finally has a rolling pin!!

After gifts became grandkid picture time.. the 4 ducks in the puddle went first... Followed by the boys. All in all it was a wonderful day with a very blessed family. Never a dull moment thanks to Uncle Keith -- he received silly string and was going to "silly string Aunt Cork" to the bed tonight! hmmm....

Life is just such a blessing! I am so fortunate to have such a wonderful family. What a great start to 2010!!

No comments:

Post a Comment